Thursday, March 15, 2012

I left my (snake) heart in Vietnam

I've been back in Australia now for almost a month. Wow! I still feel like I'm battling jetlag (never mind the measly 3 hour time difference between Ho Chi Minh City and Brisbane...). My final semester of uni's off to a rambling start and I have to admit--I sometimes have to ask myself if Vietnam really happened.

And then I remember my going away dinner hosted by my Country Director, Tucker. He and Ngan, ROP Vietnam Project Manager, craftily planned to have me eat and drink every "interesting" thing I hadn't eaten yet. 
Here's a play-by-play:
shot of snake's blood vodka with a smile


It actually didn't taste that bad--just a hint of iron. After the 5th shot, I couldn't really taste anything. Funny how that works...


field mouse (?)
snake's tail--for the honored guest's virility


this was my first time eating snake...


and the tail was quite boney...


hmmm, yes, it kinda does taste like chicken...




I thought I was doing ok until...


I was told I had to drink the snake hearts (cold, not beating)


so the little hearts were plopped into 2 shots of snake bile vodka...
for Tucker and me to share!
So, that pretty much sums up my experience in Vietnam--the internship, the people, the sights, and the food: hearty and heartfelt

Mai mốt gặp lại! We'll meet again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment